Monday, May 2, 2011

SOTX & Birthday Weekend

This weekend was a busy one -- although that's pretty much the norm these days.

On both Friday and Saturday, we spent all day at Connally High School volunteering at the Special Olympics track & field event.  I ran the volunteer table, and Ben ran around from event to event making sure everything was running smoothly.  The only picture that we got all weekend was with an athlete named Sam who wanted to take a picture with us.  I asked his coach to snap one with my camera, too, and I'm so glad that I did.
On our way home Friday night, we stopped by Serrano's for dinner and ended up getting to eat with Abby and Allen since they happened to walk up as soon as our buzzer went off.  It was a lot of fun and pretty ironic considering we ran into them at Serrano's last year after the track & field event, too.  On our way home Saturday night, we stopped by Milano Cafe {our favorite Italian restaurant}, devoured some lasagna, and came home to find this. 
 
Apparently Amos didn't like the way that I potted one of the plants that was originally in the front flower bed {more on that later}, and since the pot was large enough for him to get on top of it and dig it out, he did just that.  I tried to be mad so that he knew I meant business, but I had a hard time keeping a straight face.

Sunday was my birthday, and we spent the day celebrating.  That morning, we went to Town Lake to watch Holly row.  She recently joined Texas Rowing Crew and competed in 4 races -- Women's Pair, Women's 8, Mixed 8, and Women's 4.  She placed in 3 of the 4 races {1st, 2nd, and 3rd place}, and I am so proud of her!
 
 
The spectators...
Check out that form...
After the regatta, Ben and I went to run some errands and do a little bit of shopping.  It had been so long since I've had time to just walk around the mall, so since it was my birthday, Ben suggested that we go shopping and even went with me -- which is a gift in itself considering it's probably one of his least favorite things to do.  One of our stops was at Sephora to get my free birthday gift, and I was completely caught by surprise when the cashier rang a bell, and every employee in the store stopped what they were doing, looked at me, and shouted "Happy Birthday!"  I had never before realized how many employees {and customers} are in that store, but when all of their eyes are on you, it becomes pretty obvious.  As embarrassing as it was, it was actually pretty fun, too.  We also went by Hey Cupcake, and I tried the sweetberry cupcake {strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting} for the first time.
It was good, but the Michael Jackson is still my favorite.
 
I wanted to take a picture of Ben with his cupcake, too, but that idea got nixed real fast.
 
Later on that evening, we went to my mom's house for my favorite meal -- fried chicken and mashed potatoes.  As always, it was delicious!
G made her famous strawberry cake, and it was, of course, amazing.

So amazing that I ate two pretty big pieces and contemplated eating a thrird.  The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I wanted to take some home with me that evening.
Happy Birthday to me.  27 feels pretty good so far. :)

No comments: