Sunday, February 22, 2015

Potty Words & Our Week in Pictures

Having a toddler really is so much fun.  It's exhausting, but it's the best.  Yes, there are tantrums, and yes, there is defiance, but it's so fun getting to watch him grow and learn, and as hard it can be sometimes, I really do just love it.

Recently, it seems like his vocabulary is really taking off, too, which is so much fun.  He can pretty much repeat anything we say now, which is both amazing and a little frightening.  I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined that I would be the one to teach him his first "potty word", but it's true.  The other day, my mom and I thought we overheard him say "dang" when something didn't quite go his way, and then Ben and I definitely heard it again this week.  As Ben pointed out, he doesn't even use that word {he uses the "real" word instead...although not around Jackson}, but "dang" is definitely my word of choice.  Oops...dang...I guess I need to work on that.

All of the other things he says are wonderful though.  He started counting recently...but only to two, so if there's ever more than two of something, he just repeats "one, two, one, two..." over and over again.  He really does understand what "two" means though, which is just amazing to me.  This week, while I was making breakfast, and he was playing with his toy trucks, he ran around the corner yelling "two rollers!" while holding both of his toy rollers.  He was so proud of himself, and I was so proud of him, too.  Some of his other favorite words to use these days are "heavy", "hard" {when he is having a hard time doing something himself}, "tiny" {as opposed to small, which I think is pretty funny}, and "loud" {which he usually uses to describe trucks or any other construction}.

Recently, he also has gotten into where he wants to see everything, so if you tell him something, he replies with "see" and is not satisfied until you show him.  For instance, this week, he spotted a metal baking tin covered with aluminum foil sitting on the counter, which he knew/hoped had brownies in it.  He got all excited and shouted "brownies", but it was so close to dinnertime that I told him that it wasn't brownies but that it was actually chicken, to which he replied "see".  Ugh...thankfully I was able to change the subject and hide the pan because I'm not quite sure how I would have gotten out of that otherwise.  He has also started saying "see poopoos" every time he needs a diaper change whether he has gone #2 or not.  Personally, I'm not quite sure why he wants to see it...because the smell is almost always bad enough.

Ben was out of town the first part of this week, so Jackson and I got to spend even more quality time together than we usually do and were sure to text him plenty of selfies so that he wouldn't miss us too much.
Thankfully for us, he did the same.  My response was something like "hubba hubba", and Jackson loved these pictures even more than I did.  He'd grin ear-to-ear, and say "mo {a.k.a. more}, Dada!"
His company was hosting a regional meeting downtown, so he bought some new clothes and stayed down there since everyone else was, too. When he wasn't in meetings, he was dining/drinking at places like Truluck's, Perry's, The Driskill, and Easy Tiger.  Talk about a rough few days!
On Tuesday, I took Jackson to his weekly Sportball class.  Although he's still not a huge fan of organized activities, he's really come around since last fall.  It took him about a month to warm up to Coach Moe, but now "Moe" is one of his very favorite people.  He loves taking things to Sportball to show Coach Moe before class starts {trucks, Puppy Lovey, etc.}, and he's really gotten better at listening to what Coach Moe says.  He sits on the "magic line" and listens to the instructions of each activity, stands up to participate when Coach Moe says that it's time, and even does a relatively good job of helping to clean up with the equipment and returning to the "magic line" at the end of each activity.  Of course, his very favorite part is still getting a sticker at the end and then getting a drink out of the water fountain on our way out.  He also loves to spend a few minutes running around the raised flower bed before getting strapped into the car -- because apparently running around the gym for 45 minutes just isn't quite enough!
 We also made a quick trip to the mall to get Jackson some new shoes.
If it were up to Jackson, we would have come away with these beautiful rainbow sandals...
...but after finding out that he's now in the big kid sizes, I chose the ones on the top and at the front.  They're a cross between a tennis shoe and a water shoe, which is something that I never thought I would purchase prior to having a kid, but they're machine washable and quick drying, which is perfect for him.
Out with the old {size 7} and in with the new {size 8.5}!
Moving the kitchen chairs around is one of Jackson's favorite hobbies, and in addition to helping him get things off the counter, they're also a great place to sit while coloring on his picnic table...
...or lie down while playing with his trucks.
Since having a kid, my tolerance for cold weather has certainly gone up.  Jackson loves being outside, and outside is really one of the only places that wears him out {and that he can't destroy}, so I love being outside too.
This a picture that he wanted to take for Ben.  He put the glasses on himself and walked over saying "Dada".
I absolutely love his curls, but it is definitely time for a haircut!
The night that Ben got home, I didn't feel like making dinner, so we made a last minute decision to go out for Thai instead.  At dinner, I told Ben that I hope he had enjoyed his week of nice dinners because it's back to reality now.
Thankfully we have learned to use the iPad {and usually his very favorite "Room on the Broom"} to help get us through meals while out...and apparently putting every spoon, fork, and straw into one of your two water cups helps, too.
Jennifer {a friend from Sunday School} is due with twins in May and has been on bed rest at the hospital the past couple of weeks, so we took our Ladies' Night up to the hospital and played "Cards Against Humanity" and drank champagne in the waiting room.  Yes, really.
On Thursday morning, I took Jackson to see the dentist for the very first time.  Last week, he climbed out of the crib at my mom's house during nap time and chipped one of his teeth.  It's pretty minor, and I thought a trip to the dentist might be somewhat of an overreaction, but just like everything, when it comes to my child, I wanted to be 100% sure.  Thankfully the dentist said that he wasn't concerned since the chip isn't large enough to affect the root or nerves and the fact that he will eventually lose the tooth, too.
After our trip to the dentist, we met up with the Crisps.  Our time at library story time was short lived {Jackson had woken up way too early that morning to have much patience}, so we quickly headed to Shipe Park instead and had a great time.
And as if one trip to the park isn't enough, as soon as he woke up from his nap, we met up with the Armstrongs at the one at The Rosedale School.
Jackson had a great time playing with Harper and Evelyn, and when it came time to go, of course, they both listened so well.  I asked Harper if she'd help me with Jackson, and boy, did she!  She grabbed him by the hand and in her sweetest voice said: "c'mon, Jackson".  She was definitely in charge, and I'm not quite sure Jackson knew what to think.
If you look closely, you can see that she even interlocked his fingers in hers.  So sweet!
By the time we got to the cars, Jackson was all about it!
And again, as if two parks in one day weren't enough, we hung out in the backyard till Ben got home...
...and then headed to Mandola's for Italian food, gelato, and a little fountain wishing.
Friday morning, we made French toast for breakfast and then headed to church to tour the preschool.  We've recently decided to sign Jackson up, so starting in August, he will go on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  Just the thought of it makes me cry {yes, really!}, but I realize that this is the best thing for him, and that {hopefully} he'll love it.  The director took us around all of the different classrooms and even out to the playground area where several of Jackson's friends from church were playing.  It really seems like such a sweet little program, and Jackson loved both the sand box and the water fountain the best -- so obviously, we were sold.  
After touring the preschool, we headed over to the Capitol to run around for a little bit.  It was drizzling, so I decided to take Jackson inside for the first time ever, and he had the best time.  He walked/ran around like he owned the place...
...and when we got to the middle, he looked up and said "woah".
We went upstairs and even stepped inside the House of Representatives Chamber, but we didn't stay long.  On the way out, Jackson started laughing.  He'd stop and then start laughing again, and he did this over and over.  At first, I couldn't figure out what he was laughing at, but then I realized he could hear his echo.  I wasn't sure how to explain it {especially not to a two-year-old who didn't care to begin with}, so I just laughed along with him.
The only way to grocery shop these days.
Yesterday, I met up with my old running group for a 6 mile run {from Houndstooth Coffee on North Lamar to the Capitol} and then went to Rollingwood Park with my two favorite boys.  We brought a frisbee and a plastic football that Ben had picked up at one of his work functions, and of course, Jackson loved throwing those around, too.
He rode by himself for a few seconds...
...and then pointed to the seat behind him and said "Dada".
All of the bigger kids were playing on this merry-go-round type toy, so of course Jackson wanted in on that action and rode it several times.
We also took him to get a haircut later that morning...
...and then walked across the parking lot to reward him {and ourselves} with lunch and ice cream at Jason's Deli.
After his nap, we headed to My Gym for Davis's birthday party.

Jackson had a great time running around and especially jumping on the trampoline -- and as if that weren't enough, they had pizza, cupcakes, AND juice boxes.  Every little boy's dream come true!
A group shot of all of the kids.  Davis is in the middle of the trampoline and in front of Jackson, and Jackson's other good friend Harlon {who is holding hands with his sister Piercy Joye on the far right} were there, too.
On the way out, we picked up a "Daniel the Tiger" cookie, and of course, it had to be eaten right then.  I didn't realize that the character on it was outlined in black icing until his face looked like this!
Instead of going home, we ended up going to Central Market for dinner and to let Jackson run around a little more.  I always forget what a zoo that place is on the weekends {especially when they have live music}, but Jackson had a great time running around with all of the kids...
...and no trip to Central Market is complete without a detour to the detention pond to throw some rocks in.
Jackson thought it was his lucky day when he got not one but TWO popsicles at bathtime, but what he didn't know is that they're made of bananas, peanut butter, milk, and oats.
Anyone interested in an oatmeal bath?  It's peanut butter scented.
This morning, we were up in time to go to the early service and then Sunday School.  On the way home, we stopped by Shepler's to find some new boots for Ben.  Unfortunately, he didn't see anything that he liked, but this guy definitely did.
After a messy lunch {a toddler + soup = messy}, we changed Jackson back into his jammies and let him do a little drumming with my measuring cups and spoons before naptime.
Ben's parents also came by for a few minutes, and Jackson was so excited to see them.  This was his face when they pulled into the driveway and Ben said "guess who's here".
Ben's dad spent some time in the hospital last week {Tuesday through Friday}, and although we did go over there for dinner the evening that he was released, Jackson has definitely missed them/him.  He went into the hospital with shortness of breath and a pain down his arm, but after several tests, they determined that it was a result of him being anemic.  They also biopsied some polyps while he was there, so we're waiting for the results on those {prayers please!}, but thankfully things don't appear to be as bad as they could have been.

This evening, we got together with our neighbors to watch the red carpet and the start of the Oscars.  We ordered pizza for dinner, let the kids play, and glanced at the TV every now and then before heading back home for bedtimes.

And just because Jackson doesn't read my blog {not yet anyway}...dang, that was a long post.  Congrats on making it to the end!

No comments: