Sunday, March 8, 2015

3 Mall Trips & Other Indoor Adventures

This week was another cold one, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I am completely over it.  I'm sure at some point this summer when it's 100+ degrees out, I'll be wishing for cooler temps, but for now, I am ready for Spring!  Thankfully we're not getting the snow that Dallas is, but this entire week was pretty wet and cold, but even on the sunny days, it was still too cold to be outside -- which is  rough when you have a toddler that wants nothing more than to do just that.  We did our best to wear him out indoors this week, and in an effort to keep my house from being destroyed, we also tried to get out of the house as much as possible.

The nasty weather even caused some of us {ahem...Mimi} to bend some of the rules this week.  Normally Jackson is only allowed to shoot his beloved gun and "boo-lets" outside, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
And in addition to bending the rules, a certain someone also decided to BREAK them.  While coloring at the little picnic table, he asked Mimi for some water, and in the 30 seconds that it took her to make him a cup, he ran into the living room and did this.
Thankfully it came out right away {thank you, Magic Eraser}, and I was also glad to hear that he said "sorry" and gave her a hug immediately after it happened.
Money for eyes?  He'll do just about anything to delay bedtime these days.
 
On Tuesday morning, we went to visit Grandma at her assisted living center.  Visiting her isn't easy these days -- mostly because Jackson wants to explore the entire place, and Grandma really needs to be sitting, but it was good to see her, and she was excited to see us, too.  I'm not always sure that she knows exactly who we are, but she definitely knows that she knows us and that she loves us, and really that's all that matters.
He was dying to play the piano the entire time that we were there, so on the way out, I let him do a few seconds of banging.  Because you can't get kicked out when you're on your way out, right?
Dinners with this guy are usually brief and often cold by the time I get around to eating mine...but at least he's cute.
He's also recently become obsessed with "pah-corn", and these pictures are a perfect example of why you should never turn your back on a two-year-old.
Other indoor activities this week including various projects around the house -- like finally hanging up a picture that used to belong to G and one that I've always loved...
...and moving Jackson's big boy bed into his new room.
I'm not sure if he was tired from the heavy lifting or if it was because we told him that this was his new bed, but as soon as they got it in the room, he decided to try it out.
He also ran to the other room to get "bear", a diaper, and the wipes and then insisted that we change him.
Jumping up and down, clapping, and shouting "yay"...I can only hope that he is always this proud of himself.
Party in Jackson's tent!
On Thursday, we were supposed to have rain and freezing temperatures.  The entire school district cancelled school, which meant a lot of people stayed home from work, too, and thankfully for us, Ben was one of them.  When we woke up though, the roads weren't what everyone thought they would be, so after a little bit of downtime at the house {complete with "Jackson iPad"...also known as "mine iPad"}, we decided to go to Kerbey Lane for breakfast.
At breakfast, he found the cup of sweeteners way more entertaining than the iPad though.
Baby's first sip of orange juice {crazy, huh?}...and he loved it.
When it comes to pancakes, this kid puts on a clinic.
After breakfast, we made a trip to the mall -- mostly to get my phone fixed, but when the next available appointment wasn't until that afternoon, we just picked up Jackson's bedding...and then stopped by the fish tank to say "hi" and went up and down the elevators/escalators a couple of times.
Recently Jackson has started digging into his diaper while in his crib {usually as soon as he wakes up} and pulling out all of his "tiny poo-poos".  Needless to say, we are not very fond of this new hobby and all of the cleaning that it involves.  Reunited {with all of his CLEAN stuffies}...and it feels so good.
On Thursday night, I went out to dinner at Jack Allen's with a couple of friends from high school.  After meeting up with Rebekah and her little girl Olivia a few weeks ago, we decided that catching up might be a little easier over a dinner sans kids and invited Casey to join us.  I'm pretty sure I've only seen Casey once since high school graduation, so needless to say, the three of us had a lot to catch up on!  We sat there and talked for nearly 4 hours, and when I called Ben to let him know that I was finally on my way home, he said "wow...4 hours later, y'all must be all caught up, huh?"  Haha...not hardly.  4 hours wasn't nearly long enough, and we're already planning our next get-together.  The three of us were in Hi-Steppers together and were such good friends back in the day.  It seems silly that it's taken us this long to get together, but that's just how life goes.  We've been busy with jobs, husbands, kids, and everything in between, but I'm so thankful for their friendship and the fact that we are able to pick up right where we left off.  Meanwhile back at the casa, the boys had some fun of their own.  Giving "Codoroy" {a.k.a Corduroy} a sip of his milk...
...and eating marshmallows at bedtime.  I have a feeling Jackson is going to want me to go out more often!
On Friday, we loaded up and went to the mall for Stroller Strides.  Jackson was not the least bit interested in changing out of his pajamas, and I wasn't the least bit interested in putting up a fight over that one, so to the mall we went...in his pirate ship jammies.  And as if the hour-long workout wasn't exhausting enough, this was what I got to keep up with as soon as I let him out of the stroller.
He would literally ride the escalator up-and-down all day if I let him.
Eventually he tired out, and I was able to put him back in the stroller to do a little discounted shopping for next winter.  The long sleeve shirts would super cheap, and I just couldn't pass up the dog sweater.
On the way home from the mall, we stopped by the grocery store for a few things including Jackson's very favorite -- "peanuh" {a.k.a. peanut butter}.  He was anxious to get all of the grocery bags inside {specifically the one with the peanuh}, so I asked him to help me and gave him the bag with a loaf of bread and a bag of chips.  Of course, he was happy to help but couldn't do it without exclaiming "heaaaaavy" over and over the whole way inside.
I tried to make him a sandwich, but he just wanted eat it straight out of the jar.
Another day, another trip to the mall.  We weren't really planning on going to the mall on Saturday {a.k.a. 3 days in a row}, but Ben forgot to tell me that Jackson's big boy bedding had come in, and we only had a day or so to pick it up before they put it back on the shelf.
Although it looks like they're having a great time, they are certainly not my most favorite shopping buddies and are the reason I was up late last night doing a bunch of online shopping -- because shopping is so much more relaxing when you don't have two impatient boys waiting on you.
That afternoon, we headed over to the Sotos' house to celebrate Avery's 2nd birthday.
Jackson had never seen a pinata before.  He wasn't too interested in hitting it with a stick and did that part somewhat reluctantly, but he was great at gathering the candy.  Seriously, in terms of quantity, he did a pretty good job of keeping up with the big kids.
And while all of the other kids went on to enjoy the rest of the party, Jackson was perfectly happy to sit under the playscape and enjoy one piece after another.
Of course, he loved jumping in the bounce house, too.
Moving Jackson into a big boy room {eventually} is going to require us to paint the room that the previous owners painted a beautiful shade of purple.  There's nothing I hate more than trying to find the right paint color, yet here we are...trying to find the perfect grey.  Not bluish grey...not purplish grey...not "greige"...just plain ol' grey.
What...your kid doesn't sleep with glow sticks and in his water shoes that are least one size too small?  We choose our battles wisely in this house.
Unfortunately, Ben wasn't feeling well again this morning.  I haven't mentioned it on here, but he's been fighting an infection for the past few weeks in an area that he'd probably prefer that I not mention but hasn't been able to kick it quite yet, so in the meantime, it's really uncomfortable for him to sit.  We thought about staying at home with him but figured he might enjoy the peace and quiet, so Jackson and I loaded up and headed to church without him.  It was drizzling , and for some reason, all of the parking that is closest to the church nursery was closed, which meant we had to park in the garage and hoof it.  Just picture it -- me holding my caffeine in one hand and my son's hand in the other, pleading with him to move just a little bit faster {"show me how your run!"}, all while wearing some of my highest heels.  There was a part of me that thought about turning around and heading home as soon as I saw where we'd have to park, but I'm glad I didn't.  Both the Sunday School lesson and church service were great, and I always love starting my week out with both.  Thankfully Jackson took a good nap when we got home and was even sweet enough to give out some snuggles when he woke up.
This evening, we went to a surprise birthday party for my cousin Audrey.
She's currently living and going to school in Georgia, but she just happened to be in town for a few days, so her mom arranged to have all of her friends and family surprise her at dinner at Tres Amigos.  Thankfully my Aunt Liz had reserved a room in the back, which gave us an area to let Jackson and the other kids run around.
Olivia, Sophia, and Jack were so sweet to Jackson.  They catered to his every move, and he definitely took advantage of it.
We ordered him dinner, but instead, he strategically chose to fill up on chips and queso and then topped that off with a sucker from the hostess station.
Like I said, we choose our battles wisely around here -- because if we didn't, more often than not, we'd probably lose.  And I hate losing...almost as much as I hate cold weather and trying to find the perfect paint color.

No comments: