So far, 2014 is proving to be just as wonderful of a year as 2013. I can't help but feel more and more blessed with each day that passes, and I'm pretty sure this sweet little {chili and Ritz covered} face has a lot to do with that.
We didn't have much planned for New Year's Eve, so that afternoon, when we heard that John was in town visiting Arian and that they didn't have any big plans either, we invited them over to join us -- and to meet Jackson and see the house. It was already past Jackson's bedtime, so he really wasn't in the mood for pictures, but we took a few anyway.
John was one of mine and Ben's best friends in college {he was my Engineering 111 partner during freshman year, Ben's roommate, and a groomsman in our wedding}, so it was really fun introducing him to Jackson. So much has changed since 2002. ;)
After Jackson went to bed, we picked up dinner at ZuZu and then just spent the rest of the night catching up. We hadn't seen each other in a couple of years, so we had a lot to talk about -- and also watched the end of the Texas A&M {vs. Duke} bowl game and then the ball fall in NYC.Such a messy little eater!
On New Year's Day, we met Kyle and Steve at place that sells playscapes. We had thought about getting Jackson a little one for his birthday, but after seeing how daredevil-ish he was on all of them, I think we've decided to wait a little while. He did have a great time though -- as did both of the grandparents. ;)
Our little troll doll. ;)
I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure Jackson wasn't thrilled about the fact that I woke him from his afternoon nap.
Motherhood is so unpredictable! I was cooking breakfast one morning when Jackson decided that he wanted me to pick him up and started pulling on my pajama pants. I didn't have a free hand to pick him up OR to hold my pants up, but thankfully, my phone was within reach, so I was able to snap a picture right after the fact. ;)
For some reason, Jackson would never eat the chicken that I pureed for him {or any other pureed meats for that matter}, but I had feeling that Annie and Amos would be willing to take one {or more!} for the team.Jackson watched out the door in disbelief. ;)
"Helping" -- also known as "making a mess". ;)
It was a beautiful Saturday, so we went for a run and had lunch at Upper Crust Bakery. Some of us had a better gig that others. ;)
Now that Jackson is taking steps {with our help and while holding on to furniture}, we decided that he needed some shoes that would help him learn how to walk -- Baby's 1st Stride Rite shoes.
Such a big kid in his new shoes...
...and with his Stride Rite sticker.
Our pastors asked if any of the guys in our Sunday School would be willing to dress up st the wise men during the worship service on Epiphany, and much to my surprise, Ben volunteered along with Brandon and Jon.A Wise Men Selfie. ;)
I made taco soup...
...and Jackson loved it.
Ben's parents sent flowers up to my office on our wedding anniversary.
Celebrating 7 years of marriage at home with the best gift we could have ever given each other.
We thought about making a fancy dinner or picking something up, but eventually we decided left-over taco soup sounded way too convenient, and thankfully Jackson was a fan of our decision.
Ben surprised me with some cupcakes from Hey Cupcake, so after dinner, we let Jackson have his first bite of cake. He was a little skeptical at first...
...but after a very intense first bite...
...he was instantly a fan.
He couldn't get it in his mouth fast enough and ended up double-fisting it...
...till there was nothing but crumbs.
Fat and happy. ;)
In addition to the cupcakes, Ben also brought home the most beautiful flower arrangement.
I didn't want to be the only one in the picture and opted for the world's most awkward selfie instead. ;)
Apparently "smell" sounds a lot like "rip some petals out".
Finishing breakfast off with our two favorites -- blueberries and puffs!
Cheri, Rachel, and Kristen came over to see Jackson while the girls were home for Christmas break, and Jackson was so excited that they did.
Sweet baby boy and our very favorite dancers on the Texas Tech Pom Squad.
A belated Christmas gift from Eric and Ling, and he finally knew what to do with it. And all it took was opening up a few hundred on Christmas morning. ;)
One morning after breakfast, Jackson and I decided to look up a couple of the songs from the new Disney movie "Frozen" just to see what all the hype was about, but apparently ice princesses don't do it for him -- haha.
A little run around the hood with mom.
Silly boy.I took this picture to show Ben just how close Jackson was at being able to open the door, and just as I snapped the picture, he grabbed the handle, the door opened, and he went flying forward into the garage. Thankfully I was right there and grabbed him before he hit the garage floor, but it definitely scared us both!
One of mine and Jackson's favorite past times -- especially when we are waiting for dad to get home from work.
Is it just me or do our ankles look the same size? Cankled boy and his bird-legged mother. ;)
Shopping for Jackson's party and being silly, too.
An evening stroll with our "lightsabers"...
...that also serve as teething toys.
Safety first! ;)
Volunteering at the food bank with our Sunday School class -- Emily, Kim, Kaycee, Whitney, Laura Lee, me...
...the two Ben's... ;)
...and Chris.
Squeezing in a little swing time before church.
We celebrated Holly's birthday with my dad, Patty, and Grandma a few days early at our house, and Jackson was not very excited about the fact that he had to leave the party early to go to bed. Ben was trying to give him a bottle, but he was more focused on figuring out a way to escape!
Jackson loves going to the car wash with dad. People watching AND chewing on Styrofoam cups -- what fun! ;)
Jackson has never been a big fan of us rocking him to sleep {which I realize IS a good thing}, but it does happen on occasion, and when it does, I soak it up. :)
Grocery shopping is so much more fun when dad comes, too! ;)
Having fun at Mimi's house.
Self tanner really isn't a good look for Jackson, but thankfully it's just a thin layer of food. ;)
Getting clean is so much fun!
He's going to kill me one day, but this tush is too cute to not document.
One morning, we drove down to Buda for a play date with Rebekah and Olivia {a friend from high school and her baby girl}.He loved Olivia...
...and here headband, too!
Look who learned how to turn on the TV! He pushed the button on the remote, heard it come on, and turned to me with big eyes and a "gasp" -- success! ;)
Baby's 1st Sesame Street.
On Holly's birthday, my mom, Jackson and I visited her at work.
She met us outside, and we had a 5-minute party in the parking lot complete with gifts and cupcakes!
Breakfast at Kerbey Lane with my two favorite guys.
Our water always tastes so much better than his. ;)
I always said that I wanted my next house to have trees, and with it comes lots and lots of raking.Thankfully I had some help. ;)
Such a sweet moment caught on film.
Playing with our new neighbor Charlie.
Some afternoon swinging.
My baby is all about efficiency. Why put just one ball in when you can just set the entire canister on top?Sesame Street and snuggles. It only lasted a couple of minutes, but it was nice while it did.
Ben talked me into getting Jackson a tent and tunnel for his birthday, and I'm so glad that we did because he loves it!
We decided to give it to him a couple days early since we knew he'd be getting so many gifts at his party on his actual birthday. We set it up so that it'd be ready for him as soon as he got up from his afternoon nap, and he got so excited as soon as he saw it...
...and even more when I got in it with him. It may be huge, and it may be in the way {although it is collapsible}, but this sweet {and excited!} face makes it all worth it.
Mmmmmmm.....spaghetti. :)The day before Jackson's birthday, we spent the morning playing in his tent...
I had always said that I wanted to wait till he was a year before I cut his hair, so I figured the day before he turned one {and the day before his big party!} was the perfect day. And as you can see, it was much needed. ;)
Thankfully Jackson really liked Margot.She was super sweet...
...but also knew exactly how to get him to hold his head a certain way and was really quick about the whole thing.
Jackson did so well, too, but I think it helped that she had so many fun things to play with {a.k.a. chew on}, too!
"Don't mess it up, lady. The ladies love my gorgeous locks!" ;)
All done!
Baby boy turned instant toddler! My feelings exactly, Jackson!
Two thumbs up for Margot at The Hair's Lair. We will definitely be going back!
Holly and Nelson stopped by to pick up a couple of breakfast casseroles to bake in their oven the next morning, and we couldn't help but notice how much Jackson and his over-sized beanie resembled "Dopey" from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".
That evening, as I was knocking out my long list of to-do's for the big birthday party, I was reminded of just how long my to-do list was exactly a year ago when I was just 36 weeks pregnant -- and then my baby was born the very next day!
My sweet little "Dopey" -- the kid that loves to keep me on my toes. All I gotta say is -- it's a good thing he's so cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment