Saturday, August 15, 2015

"Teeny" and his "Other Grandma"

Today was definitely bittersweet.  On one hand, Dean got to meet a bunch of our family and friends, including my Grandma -- Jackson and Dean's only living great-grandparent and one of my very favorite people, but on the other hand, it was soon after that introduction that I also had to give her a hug and wish her well on her big move to Houston.
Unfortunately, Grandma has recently come to the point where she needs more care than her assisted living center can provide, and because my dad would like her to be closer to him so that he can keep a better eye on both her and her care, we've decided that Houston is where she needs to be.  Today, she left the city that she's called "home" for the past 20+ years, and although I know it's for the best, I can't help but be sad knowing that she's no longer just a quick 15-minute car trip away.

On a much happier note though...today started out great and with a sip & see shower for Dean.  Well, actually it started out with waking up to this sweet face several times throughout the night, but that's neither here nor there.
Soon after I announced that I was pregnant with Dean, Abby and Debbie said that they wanted to throw me a baby shower but suggested that we wait until after the baby was born.  Since we already have all of the baby gear, there was no real hurry to have it, and we thought it'd be more fun to have the baby there to show off, too.  They also didn't want to take a chance on their shower getting cancelled again like it did when Jackson was born so early and the day before his.  Thankfully those Fredrickson girls have learned to not trust those Liggett boys and their due dates.
As with everything that Debbie and Abby do, the shower was wonderful, and everybody had a great time eating brunch, chatting, and passing Dean around while I opened gifts.
Amy
Dabney, Cheri, & Karen
Olivia
Mimi, Jack, & Kathy
Patty & Valerie
Cheri
The Straus family -- Sophie, Jack, Dani, & Olivia
Candy
Aunt Holly, Patty, & Valerie
Dean and I got so many wonderful gifts, too -- diapers, wipes, some adorable baby clothes, and lots of gift cards {hello, Target!}.
Based on our diaper stash thus far, I think it's safe it to say that Dean is very loved!
After the shower, Dean and I drove out to Lakeway to the rehabilitation center that Grandma had moved into just a few weeks ago after being released from the hospital.  We sat around and talked for a little bit so that Grandma could have some time to admire Dean, and then after a bunch of hugs and kisses, my dad loaded her up into the car.  I joked with Grandma that it's a good thing that she had such a big boy who could literally pick her up and put her in the backseat of the car, and I couldn't help but think about the fact that that may be me someday with my two big boys.
Just a couple of moms and their sweet baby boys -- a.k.a. 4 generations.
Getting to introduce two of my very favorite people today was so special, and although neither one of them will probably remember it, I always will.  I love that while Grandma thinks that Dean's name is "Teeny" {her hearing is no longer the best}, Dean will probably grow up thinking her name is "Other Grandma", which is what Jackson lovingly refers to her as since we originally taught him to call Kyle "Grandma".
Speaking of Jackson, he spent the day out at Pops and Memaw's house since Ben is still feeling pretty crummy.  Apparently while he was digging, he told Memaw that he was "so busy".  Um, obviously.
When he returned this evening, he was so excited to hear that he too had received a gift at Dean's shower -- the book "Foreman Farley Has a Backhoe" from Candy.
He and Memaw had a great time playing in his tent, too.
And as soon as I snapped that picture, I was reminded of this one.  I can't say enough about how blessed I was to have two wonderful grandmothers, and I am so thankful that Jackson and Dean hit the grandparent jackpot, too.
Goodnight, world.  Me and "Teeny" are calling it a night because I can say with certainty that we will up again shortly.

No comments: