Sunday, September 20, 2015

Holding Down the Fort

Ben just got home from South Dakota today after spending the past four days and three nights {not that I was counting them down or anything} walking through cornfields, hunting pheasant, riding around on a private plane, and enjoying beautiful views like these.
While he was there, he also didn't change a single diaper, slept through the night, and fed no one but himself, so although the trip was for work, it sounded a lot more like a vacation to me.  Thankfully I did a pretty good job of holding down the fort here {if I do say so myself}, but I definitely missed both him and his help, and between Jackson and Ben, I'm still not sure who missed who the most.  So, in an effort to hold everyone over, we sent him lots of pictures and FaceTimed him every night before bed, too.
Oh Dean..it's just a hug.
Earlier this week, I took Dean to his 2-month well-check appointment.  We weren't shocked to learn that Dr. Dawson also thinks he is pretty perfect, and we also found out that he now weighs 14 pounds 6.5 ounces.  We knew he was a growing boy...but wow!  I guess that's what happens when you eat all the time.  As for his toricollis, Dr. Dawson reminded me to keep up with his stretches at each diaper change, and before we left, he also got a few vaccinations.  Thankfully I remembered to bring the baby Tylenol with me so that I could give it to him right away, but he was still pretty fussy the rest of the day and wanted nothing more than to be held and fed.
Rough days call for naps on mom.
More often than not, the Ergo is my secret to getting a home cooked meal on the dinner table.
That night before bath, I snapped this picture and then remembered a very similar one of Jackson at about the same age.
Baby tushes don't get any more precious than this, and I have a feeling that Dean is going to be even "healthier" than Jackson was as a baby.  World, prepare yourself for some adorable chunkiness.
Knowing that I was going to be working "overtime" while Ben was away, I decided that it would be in my best interest to go out with some friends and without Dean for the very first time one night this week before Ben left.  Thankfully, everything went great at home with Ben and the boys, and I really enjoyed having a little bit of time away, too.  A group of girls from our Sunday School class went  went to the "Troop Beverly Hills" Quote-Along at the Alamo Drafthouse, and we had a blast remembering what it was like to be that age while watching a movie that used to be such a slumber party staple.
Thankfully, Jackson had another great week at school.  I love that he loves going and that he is always so happy when I return, and my heart nearly skipped a beat when Ms. Kim Sue commented on how impressed she is that he has transitioned so quickly and so well into the school environment.
Every kid gets a sticker when they leave for the day, and Jackson always has the best time finding a new place to put his.  This helicopter started out on his forehead and eventually made its way to Dean's arm so that he could "borrow it".
2 months old and wearing a 6-month sleeper.  "Little brother" is a relative term.
It turns out preschool mornings are the best time to go to the grocery store...for obvious reasons.
The first evening that I was home alone, I took both boys to the park in hopes of burning off some toddler energy and making the bedtime routine that much easier.  As I expected, we were all over the place.  We played on the playground, visited the pond, dug in the mulch, and even ventured over to the baseball field to see what the loud music was all about and then watched as they blew up a screen that Alamo Drafthouse planned to show a movie on later that night.
Is it just me or does he look five here?
And why is it that he always makes friends with the oldest, cutest, AND flirtiest girls everywhere we go?  This one's name was Delilah, and she was a sweetheart.
On Friday morning, I took the boys to the Nature & Science Center, and my mom met us there.  We hadn't been since this past Spring, and I knew Jackson would love digging in the dinosaur pit...not necessarily for the bones but just for fun.  Of course, we brought his beloved excavator along and his monster truck, too.  Both toys were a fan favorite, and thankfully Jackson did a pretty good job of sharing them -- despite the fact that he was the only one that brought toys to share, which seems to be a common theme when we go out and about.
From there, Jackson left with my mom for a sleepover at her house, and Dean came home with me.  The next 24 hours were quiet.  Much quieter than I'm used to these days...but not necessarily in a bad way.  Don't get me wrong, I definitely missed both Ben and Jackson, and it definitely felt weird to have only half of my family at home, but there were definitely upsides to the whole thing, too.  #1.) Dean's not quite as messy as the other two, so picking up after him was a breeze, and #2.) He was more than happy to tag along and do things that were 100% about me.
Yesterday morning, I got brave and took Dean to get a pedicure between feedings.  I hadn't had my nails {or eyebrows!} done since before Dean was born, so I was well overdue, and thankfully, he did great.  He didn't sleep a wink, but he was perfectly happy to just hang out in my lap the whole time.
Yesterday, my dad and Patty came to Austin to see us.  When putting Jackson down for a nap, I reminded him that they would be here when he woke up, and he asked if "Other Grandma" could come, too.  He was disappointed when I told him that she couldn't this time, and although it made me a little sad, too, I love that he hasn't forgotten about her.  Jackson was excited to see both "Upa" and Patty and enjoyed showing off on his scooter {and just in general} and introducing them to his very favorite restaurant Hat Creek.
It didn't take me long to realize that the bath/bedtime routine was the hardest part of having Ben gone, but thankfully I learned quickly what worked and what didn't.  Two baths, two diapers, two sets of jammies, teeth brushing, hair brushing, baby nursing, short stories on the iPad, baby burping, books, FaceTime with Daddy, a sippy cup of water, and kisses all around.  It wasn't easy, but at least I know I can do it.
This morning, I got everybody up, ready, and out the door in time for both Sunday School and church {fist pump, mom!}, and when we got home, Ben was there waiting for us.
Before changing out of our church clothes, I asked Ben to take our picture since I don't really have one of me with both boys, and then I quickly realized why.
Believe it or not, this is the best one.  Yes, really.
My preppy little beefcake.
Today after naps, we headed over to Ramsey Park to play on the playground, ride scooters, and play tennis {or something like it}.  Everything was "Daddy, come here" and "Daddy, look this", and all was right in the world again.
Nothing is more exciting than having Daddy home, but the "papedge" {a.k.a. package} that came in the mail for Jackson today is a close second.  Ben ordered him a set of the monster trucks from "Monster Truck Mater", which is a part of the "Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales" and one of their very favorite short films, and to say that Jackson is obsessed might be an understatement.
On our way home from the park, we stopped at Sap's for dinner.  While Ben did his best to get Jackson to eat "just one more bite" and to stop jumping in the booth, I nursed a crying baby and welcomed him back to real life.  It's definitely an exhausting one, but thankfully, it's a pretty good one, too.

No comments: