Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Party Time

While most couples went out to dinner for Valentine's Day, Ben and I celebrated his birthday at home and made a pizza from scratch.
We kneaded the dough.Let it rise for a few minutes while cutting up the sausage and vegetables.Baked the crust for a few minutes and then covered it in sauce.Garnished it with the toppings.And then baked it for just a few more minutes.It was so easy, we had a lot of fun, and the pizza was delicious!I also made a birthday cake for Ben and decided to try out a new recipe. I had read about a "Flourless Chocolate Cake" in Parade a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a try after seeing the words "so easy". I'll admit that it was a lot more work than the cakes that I usually bake (considering it consisted of more than just adding eggs, oil, and water to a cake mix), but overall, I think I did pretty well.

I melted chocolate, butter, egg yolks, and sugar on the stove.Whipped egg whites and sugar in the mixer.And then mixed the two together and baked it in my heart-shaped pan -- because when you have a husband who has a birthday on Valentine's Day, you have to own a heart-shaped pan.Overall, the recipe was pretty easy to follow, and I only had 2 minor issues. First, I had no idea what "stiff peaks" were, so I had to Google that, and second, because I had never separated eggs before, my first one came out scrambled. Not everyone in the family was upset about my mess-up though. There was no sense in wasting a good egg, so Ben threw it in a pan with some cheese and cooked it for A&A.They really are so spoiled.
While waiting for the cake to bake, I snapped a few pictures of my fur babies.
Ben and his #2 Valentine -- who obviously didn't want her picture taken.Annie and Amos also practiced some of their tricks.Annie has known how to "lay" for forever, but Amos just recently learned how. For the most part, he's pretty good at it, but sometimes he gets so excited, he doesn't know whether to lay, roll over, or play dead -- and ends up doing just a combination of all three.As soon as the cake came out of the oven, Ben was ready to dig in -- but not before one last picture.
Happy 27th Birthday, B! I hope you enjoyed celebrating as much as I did. :)

No comments: