The bad news: I was notified a couple of weeks ago that I had to report for jury selection this morning.The good news: I'm going out of town later this week, so I had a good feeling that I wouldn't be selected.
The bad news: I was selected.
The good news: It was just a one-day trial, so I don't have to go back.
The bad news: The plaintiff didn't know how to take turns, talked over the defendant's lawyer, rambled on, and made several racist comments that I'm pretty sure made everyone in the courtroom feel uncomfortable.
The good news: I thought to wear pants in case it was cold in there.
The bad news: I should have worn a jacket because it was freezing.
The good news: They promised to get us out of there by noon.
The bad news: That didn't happen.
The good news: After about 2.5 hours in court and 1.5 hours in deliberation, we were finally dismissed at about 2:00 pm.
The bad news: While the jurors were waiting in line for our "excuse note", the plaintiff came up to us and wanted to know why we stuck him with the defendant's lawyer fees.
The good news: One of the other jurors spoke up and simply said because it was stated that way in the lease that he had signed.
The bad news: I was starving and had a pounding headache -- most likely due to the rambling plaintiff.
The good news: I swung by Taco Bell on the way home and vegged the rest of the afternoon.
As the postage stamp implies, I was proud to serve my county, but it was definitely not the most fun thing that I've ever done. Judge Raul Gonzalez thanked us for our time and said that we shouldn't be called to serve again for at least another two or three years. I sure hope that he's right!
No comments:
Post a Comment